It’s impossible to comprehend the grief of a mother who is mourning the loss of her teenage son. The fall of 13-year-old Matthew Pierre from the 20th floor of Manhattan Plaza yesterday morning has stunned our Hell’s Kitchen community.
Overnight, his mom, Jeri Snead-Pierre, wrote on Instagram “Rest in Power my handsome sweet young King!”. Our deepest sympathy is with Jeri and Matthew’s family and friends.
What started 12 years ago as a memorial to two Hell’s Kitchen children lost to cancer, has become a ritual for Nicki and Luisa at Domus. Yesterday afternoon, Luisa sewed on a new tree cozy outside their store on W44th Street paying tribute to essential workers and Black Lives Matter (and raising a smile with passersby).
Thank you to Damon Webster for helping out with photography (and the video of Luisa at Domus yesterday). We love his street photography around the neighborhood, which we hope will become a regular feature in our newsletter and website. This is definitely a day for a hug from your favorite Hell’s Kitchen hugging dog, Louboutina!
The Shops and Restaurants at Hudson Yards are at your service! Enjoy personal styling, contactless pick-up, and indoor/outdoor dining.
Special Offer: Spend $125, receive a $25 HY Gift Card. Show same-day receipts to Concierge to redeem. Offer valid thru 11/1.
What we’ve been reading
“Influenza arrived in New York in August 1918, reportedly brought to the East Coast by ocean liners (though how the flu got here is still up for debate).” Pandemic memories, from Roosevelt Hospital on 59th Street and Ninth Avenue in 1918. (Ephemeral New York)
The newest 9th Avenue arrival, Three Roosters Chicken, gets a great review. (Gothamist)
Actor Clark Middleton — whose first stop in his acting career was an S.R.O. in Hell’s Kitchen — has died of West Nile virus in Los Angeles. (New York Times)
Gwyneth Leech is first up in this new interview series, Artists of Instagram. (All Arts)
“What I would really like to see is that everybody who decides to go out to eat — which is really a privilege — treats food-service people with the kind of care and respect that we treat our nurses with. We need to shift a little bit away from this ‘customer’s always right’ mentality to the ‘we’re all in this together’ mentality.” For indoor dining, it’s the bar and restaurant workers who take on the greatest risk. Think about ventilation, aerosols, and that staff are stuck in the same air for hours. (Eater)