An institution on the Lower East Side since 1936, Kossar’s Bagels & Bialys is opening a second location on the West Side this fall. The bakery secured a 15-year, 1,200 square-foot lease on the ground floor of the Ohm building at 312 11th Avenue, in the shadow of Hudson Yards.
Isadore Mirsky and Morris Kossar founded Mirsky and Kossar’s Bakery at 22 Ridge Street during the Great Depression. In 1953, Morris Kossar bought out his partner, renamed the store Kossar’s Bialys, and moved to a new location at 145 Clinton Street. After a mysterious overnight fire destroyed that storefront, Morris eventually reopened at 367 Grand Street, where the bakery continues to turn out a variety of Jewish specialty foods. It’s now the last remaining bialy bakery in the United States.
On 11th Avenue, Kossar’s is taking over space previously occupied by Via Trenta Pizzoteca. Developer Douglaston Development and Clinton Management also announced that Winebook and a New York-style deli will also open up at the property alongside Kossar’s this fall.